Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Graduate

Congratulations!! Mom has once again proven what a Rock Star she really is. After enduring a year+ of classes with angry lesbians and pulling countless all-nighters (still TBD whether caused by last minute cramming or last minute keggers), Mom is now the proud owner of a Masters in Special Education from Randolph Macon Women's College (now to be called Randolph College.) I know all of us are so proud of her. In fact, I even teared up as she led the march of graduates; luckily, I was saved by my over sized sun goggles which hid the evidence as I quickly regained composure (thanks Paris, I knew you really would enhance my life somehow.) It was such a beautiful spring day and as I saw her leading the way with a smile on her face, I couldn't help but think how proud Dad must be looking down and seeing Mom achieve this outstanding goal on Mother's Day and his birthday. Just another notch on her belt of amazingness!

Nevertheless, I do recall Price and I discussing how we had individually advised Mom to stop staying up until 4am to finish papers--half-ass it! But did she listen? Maybe! Who knew we were dealing with the class clown!?

All and all the graduation ceremony was nice. In fact, you all would have gotten as much amusement as Carol, Rick, and I did when the hippie lesbian next to me, in following apparent tradition, put her arm around me at the end of the ceremony as she swayed and sang to the school song To Randolph Macon. However, I think the three of us giggling uncontrollably was enough of a hint and she soon after removed her arm from my innocent shoulders.

After graduation, Mom and I relaxed while indulging in a few Bloody Mary's, the Sunday crossword, a little The Real Housewives of Orange County. Before I hit the road, we stopped by to give Grandmommy a little Mother's Day greeting and some treats. It was another great weekend, wish you could have all been there! But you can catch Mom in the gown again at the new Harry Potter premier later this summer...

1 comment:

The Boston Blairs said...

Awwww, I don't know whether to laugh or cry! Quick, find me my sun goggles!